Monday, July 22, 2013

Vegan Pasta Alfredo


Dear Sally, 


I have been neglecting my letters. I love your recipe for chutney. I tried making cherry jam the other day and it was a complete failure. Let's just say that canning is not my thing. 

So the trip out East was fantastic. I love the air down there and we had great weather for the coast. Walking along the beach on one of our last days was probably the highlight for me. You just don't get that kind of experience here in Bradford.

So I have been making many things on my days off but not all have been a success. This recipe was awesome! I have tried my share of gluten and dairy free foods and this one actually tasted like something most people would eat. Jesse included. He really loved this one and the best part was that the noodles weren't soggy. Rice noodles can be a challenge. 

Here is the recipe! 

Vegan Pasta Alfredo

modified from Gluten-Free-Vegan-Girl

Ingredients: for the sauce:
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews (or pine kernels)
  • 1/2 + cup unsweetened plant-based milk
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • a pinch of maldon salt
  • a dash of black pepper
  • two hot Italian sausages
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
for the pasta:
  • 200 grams brown rice pasta (preferably fettuccine or spaghetti)
  • finely chopped fresh Italian herbs (such as oregano, basil or thyme)

Directions:
  1. Start by placing the pasta in a pot with boiling water and a pinch of salt. Let this cook while making the sauce.
  2. The sauce is made simply by placing all the ingredients together in a small food processor (or use a hand blender) and run until completely small. Start by using 1/2 cup plant-based milk and add more for the sauce to reach the right consistency. It should be about as thick as pancake batter.
  3. Once the sauce is mixed cook the Italian sausages in a frying pan  until golden brown and cooked through. Cut the sausage into small pieces and set aside.
  4. Once the pasta is al dente, drain it and place back into the pot. Pour in the sauce and some finely chopped herbs (I used basil leaves) and stir well. Add the 1/2 cup tomato sauce and the sausages. Add in additional black pepper and salt to taste. Serve immediately while warm. 
Keep sending those pictures my way. I can't wait to see you again in person but photos will have to do. Tell Jason we say hi!


Love, 







No comments:

Post a Comment