Thursday, July 25, 2013

Roasted Duck with Carrots and Apples


Dear Jess,

Ducks were on sale! Woot woot! I looooove duck! I was originally going to do it in my slowcooker. However, after dressing the duck and chopping the fruit and veggies, I realized that the duck was too big for the slowcooker. Thus, I did it in the oven. It made my house smell so heavenly, and after mashing some potatoes and making a gravy out of the juices of the cooked duck: dinner was a success!

Roasted Duck
adapted from www.justapinch.com

1 duck (fresh or thawed)
4 large carrotos, peeled
3 firm apples, peeled and chopped
2 springs rosemary
1 small bunch of thyme
1 lemon
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place carrots, apples, salt and pepper (to taste) in the base of a large dish or roasting pan.

Remove giblets from inside duck and discard, or set aside for other use. Put quartered onion, whole lemon, rosemary and thyme inside your duck. Tie the duck, and rub with salt and pepper all over. Place duck on top of carrots and apples.

Place in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Spoon 1/4 cup butter over duck and continue baking for 45 minutes. Spoon remaining 1/4 cup butter over duck, and continue baking for 15 more minutes (or until internal temperature reaching 160.) Your duck should be a wonderful golden brown.




Carve and serve!






I was also able to do some duck broth for the freezer! So exciting!









As for my garden, it is going as well as could be expected. I am afraid in my morning sickness stage I wasn't able to water it as often as I should have. That being said, my carrots, radishes, beets, lettuce, herbs and cherry tomatoes are doing great! My peas seem to be suffering, but I am still hopeful of a come-back!





Love,







No comments:

Post a Comment