Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Our Favourtie Chili

Dearest Jess,

I am so excited for you guys to get here!

I hope your week is going well. I have been sent to Ottawa for the week to take graduation pictures at a high school here. I have been living in a hotel since Tuesday. As nice as that sounds, what you have to realize is: there is no kitchen in my room. There is a teeny, tiny coffee maker; a sink in the bathroom to get water from; and a bar fridge that makes everything frosty. I miss cooking. A lot. A lot. I can't wait to get back home tackle a new recipe.

That being said: here is my (and Jason's) favourite Chili recipe ever. It's healthy, hearty, spicy, and easy. It is from Eat, Shrink, and be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski. Originally this is supposed to be a veggie dish, but we make it with lean ground turkey and/or chicken.


Beany Baby
From Eat Shrink and be Merry by Janet and Greta Poldeski
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper and chopped celery
2 tsp minced garlic
1 pkg (12oz/340g) frozen Boca Ground Burger (I use 1 pkg lean ground chicken and/or turkey)
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp each ground cumin and dried oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 can (28oz/796ml) diced tomatoes, undrained (I use fresh tomatoes, diced)
1 can (14oz/398ml) tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional: I don't use it)


1. (**If using real meat, cook it in pot first, and then add veggies**) Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, green epper, celery, and garlic. Cook and tir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes

2. (**If using frozen Boca Burger, add it now) Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, red pepper flakes, and cinnamon. Mix well and cook for 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, broth, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro (if using). Serve hot.

3. Optional: garnish with light sour cream and grated cheese.


I love you so much! I can't wait to hear some updates.


Love,

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I am going to make this! You guys are amazing! AND INSPIRING! <3

    ReplyDelete