Friday, July 26, 2013

Banana Almond Meal Muffins


Dear Sally, 


This is a recipe that you NEED to try.  I had some bananas in my fruit bowl that were past the point of eating and perfect for muffins. Usually I would make some regular muffins for Jesse or the neighbours, ones that I can’t eat but on THIS day I was being selfish. I found a recipe online for muffins using almond meal instead of almond flour. I had my doubts but once I tried them I was hooked. After eating three I had to walk out of the kitchen. This recipe is gluten free and vegan.

Banana Almond Meal Muffins

Ingredients:

2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp. water)
2 ripe bananas
3 tbsp. agave nectar, maple syrup or honey (not vegan)
3 tbsp. unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup almond meal
½ cup + 2 tbsp. oat flour
Optional toppings: chopped nuts, rolled oats

Instructions:

1.     Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin tin with 8 paper liners.
2.     In a large bowl, prepare flex egg by mixing flaxseed + water and letting it rest for a few minutes.
3.     Next add bananas and mash. Add agave, baking powder, vanilla, almond milk and stir.
4.     Add almond meal and oat flour and stir once more. Taste to see if it needs more sweetener.
5.     Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tooth pick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean and they become somewhat firm to the touch with a little give.
6.     Remove and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Then cook all the way on a cooling rack.
7.     Store in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap for several days. Freeze for longer storage.

When I made these I had 3 bananas so I just did one and a half times and I filled 12 muffin cups. I am serious when I say you have to make these. Jesse isn’t allowed to touch them and I am trying to pace myself. It may not fill your craving for pizza and comfort food but they are a really healthy snack.

Love,
 


No comments:

Post a Comment