Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Jalapeno and Tomato Salsa Taco Salad



Dear Sally,

My parents came for a visit to our neck of the woods yesterday and while Jesse was at work I took them around the area. We went to a wonderful antique market in Barrie and also had to do some shopping at Marshals. My dad managed to keep himself entertained while the women went to the racks. He is a brave man.

We were originally going to try this recipe for lunch but we were too hungry and gave in to the calls from Much Burrito. Instead we decided to make it for dinner and I’m glad we did. I found it in the newest edition of the LCBO Food & Drink Magazine. Every now and then they have something good and this is a recipe to keep on hand.

We adjusted the recipe to suit the dietary needs of all. I wanted to leave out the chicken and I substituted goat feta for the Tex Mex cheese my dad wanted. Jesse was happy once he picked out the tomatoes I missed on his plate and was fully satisfied with the portions. I think Jason would like this as well and I know you will.

Jalapeno and Tomato Salsa Taco Salad
Adapted from Food & Drink Magazine

Ingredients:

1 pkg cherry tomatoes
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers
1 tbsp. oil
3 green onions
1 lime
1 sweet red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

1 romaine heart, shredded
1can black beans
2 avocadoes, chopped
1 cup Tex Mex cheese or goat feta
4 handfuls tortilla chips
Fresh parley for topping

Directions:

1.    In a medium saucepan cook the green onion, tomatoes and red pepper until soft. Add the black beans and warm through. Season with salt, pepper and juice of a lime. Set aside.
2.    Shred the romaine lettuce and divide onto four plates. Cut up the Avocado into small pieces and add to each plate. Divide the warm vegetable mixture onto each plate.
3.    Add the desired cheese and tortilla chips and serve warm. Balsamic vinaigrette or salsa can be used as extra dressing if needed.


I would love an update from you about how your garden is coming along. I made some kale chips the other day because our kale plants were taking over the sunlight in the garden. Jesse has all sorts of beans growing at the moment and it is hard to be able to use them all up without having to freeze them for later. Soon the lettuce and tomatoes will be ready and some of our peppers too! I love this time of year.

Love,
 




No comments:

Post a Comment