Friday, August 8, 2014

Chicken Stir-fry with Yams

Dear Jess,

The summer (as always) is flying by. I can't believe we're into August already!

As you have likely noticed, I'm having a chicken and ginger love affair. This recipe has become a quick comfort food for me! If you don't like hoisin, just use soy sauce instead. The yams (or sweet potato in my case) make this dish addictive!



Chicken Stir-fry with Yams
adapted from www.epicurious.com

2 Tbsp Sesame oil, divided (olive oil will work too, though now with the same flavour)
2 yams (I used a large sweet potato), peeled, cut crosswise into 1/3 inch thick rounds then cut into 1/3 inch wide strips
1 medium size red onion, cut lengthwise into 1/3 inch thick slices
2-3 Tbsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
Meat from one cooked chicken
4 cups 1/3 inch thick strips sliced cabbage (about 1/4-1/2 head)
1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat 1 Tbsp Sesame oil in a large skillet. Add yams and onion. Cook, covered, for 12 minutes (or until tender), stirring occasionally. I had a little measuring cup of water close at hand, so if it started to burn, I would add a bit.

Add Ginger and Garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and cabbage. Cook for about 5 minutes (or until cabbage is at desired texture. I like my cabbage just a tad bit still crunchy.)

Add Hoisin sauce (add more if desired), soy sauce and salt and pepper. Stir until heated through and remove from heat.



I served this atop a bid of vermicelli noodles. It would go great with rice, or any other stir-fry-friendly noodle.

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment