I whole heartedly expected this recipe to be disappointing. I made it out of desperation. I had 3 cucumbers sitting in my fridge from the Circle Organic food box that I knew I would never eat in time. I desperately looked up recipes for Cucumber Salad, and pieced together what I thought might work. This is the delicious result.
Tangy Cucumber Salad
adapted from www.inspiredtaste.net
2 cucumbers (some people say to use seedless... I didn't, and it turned out fine)
2 tsp Kosher salt
1 to 3 tsp honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp yellow mustard (dijon will work well too)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced (optional... but highly recommended)
1. Thinly slice cucumber into rounds. You can do this by hand, or with a mandolin.
2. Place cucumbers and salt in a large colander in the sink. Let sit for 30 minutes. You will lose lots of liquid this way, which is why it is convenient to leave it in the sink.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together honey, cider vinegar and mustard.
4. Place Cucumbers on a tea towel, and thoroughly dry them off. Place them into a large bowl with onions. Pour the dressing over and stir well.
5. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
I found it the best the next day, and the longer you let it sit afterwards. I ate it atop salad greens, with other salads (such as egg salad, and salmon). Jason enjoyed it on a sandwich. I will likely make it again the next time we have burgers! It has a refreshing taste, yet with a little zip from the onions and vinegar. It has won my affection, and a place in my recipe binder.