Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Autumn Apple Cider

Dear Sally,

     Please don't worry about how often you post. I felt better knowing that I am not the only one who hasn't made a post in a while.
          Life here in Bradford is a little bit crazy. I find I have forgotten how to enjoy cooking with the crazy schedule I have. Every now and then I have the time to just enjoy exploring in my kitchen and I cherish those moments.
      Jesse and I went apple picking a few weeks ago at the local organic orchard. As we were walking along all of the trees we started talking about cider and both really wanted to try making it at home. Jesse picked the apple tree in front of his parent's house a week later and our adventure began. This recipe is really simple. It says that you can save the apple mush (pulp) for a snack but we just put it into the compost.


Apple Cider

8 Red Delicious apples ( we used about 20 small apples)
10 cups water
1 cup sugar (we used less for a bigger batch)
4 cinnamon sticks ( we used 6)
1 tsp. fresh nutmeg
8-10 cloves
1 tsp fresh allspice
4-6 fresh slices of ginger about 1/4 inch thick

Directions

Peel and core the apples. Cut them into large chunks and place in a large saucepan. Add the water and spices to the pot making sure everything is submerged.

Do not bring to a boil! Start the pan on simmer and leave it there for two hours. After two hours strain all the ingredients with a thin mesh strainer into a large bowl. Use a ladle to push more of the liquid through. Pour the cider into mason jars adding a cinnamon stick in each and let cool before you put it into the fridge.

Let the cider sit overnight before you enjoy it. Cheers!

I am excited for the flavours of fall. There is something so soothing about a warm spiced drink or a delicious thick stew. I have been thinking about you a lot these days and not just because you are blossoming with child but because t

here is an aching in my heart to be near the ones I love in the places that I so often miss. Lots of love to you, Jason and baby Ufkus.

Jess
     

No comments:

Post a Comment