Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Portobello Mushroom Burgers


Dear Sally,
 
Your last two posts were AWESOME! Jesse has actually been growing pickling cucumbers in our backyard so that will be on my list of things to make very soon. We have also been enjoying an abundance of lettuce and kale lately.

Summer continues to fly by. There was a time in the last few weeks where I was just throwing things together at dinnertime in the hopes that it would resemble food. My parents came down this past weekend and broke me of that habit. My mom wanted to try a new recipe out and I’m glad she suggested it. Everyone loved it and there wasn’t too much work involved in making it.


Portobello Mushroom Burgers

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, sliced into thin rounds
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
oil for grilling
2 red peppers, sliced into 4 segments
8 large Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
Salt and pepper to taste
4 slices manchego, white cheddar, or goat cheese
2 cups baby spinach
4 whole grain buns

Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook on low until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
            Preheat grill to medium. Lightly brush red pepper slices with oil and grill for 2 minutes per side, or until tender with some grill marks. Remove red pepper from grill. Brush mushrooms with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add mushrooms to grill, stem side down, and cook for 5 minutes. Flip mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes.
Top 4 mushrooms with equal amounts of red peppers, cheese, and spinach. Cover each with a remaining mushroom, stem side down so that the stem sides are facing each other. Cook for 1 minute or until cheese has melted. If using buns, heat them on the grill for one minute or until toasted.
Serve stuffed mushrooms topped with caramelized onions. I added basil to mine and didn’t have a bun and it was delicious! The goat cheese really makes it creamy.




I am starting to get excited about September as my planning continues. It’s going to be a busy year but I am looking forward to it.
            I really miss you. So many times I have wanted to just walk over, grab a cup of tea and catch up. Hopefully we can do that soon. I love the photos you send each month of your beautiful baby belly. I definitely want to be in Peterborough soon but it is looking like it will have to be in September some time. We’ll get up there soon.

Love Always,

No comments:

Post a Comment