Thursday, August 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Beef Roast with Portobellos and Onions

Dear Jess,

We had the best thunderstorm last night! It was loud, bright, and long! So amazing!

On Thursdays, I work for most of the day. Dinner tends to be either left overs, or something from the slow cooker.

I was looking for a good beef roast recipe, because I picked up beef when it was on sale last week. I was tired of seeing 'onion soup mix' or 'can of cream of mushroom soup' as ingredients in all of my search results. I'm gaining enough weight with this baby... the last thing I need is to add more sodium and preservatives to my food! Also, there just has to be a yummy solution without adding all this junk that should never be eaten to begin with. So this was my improvisation, and I must say it turned out spectacular!

Slow Cooker Beef Roast with Portobellos and Onions
my own experimental recipe
2 onions, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
2-4 lb beef roast
1-2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
3 cups beef stock (I used my homemade stuff!)
4-5 Portobello mushrooms, chopped
Salt and Pepper

Place onions and carrots in the bottom of your slow cooker. Place beef on top of onions and carrots. Place Rosemary on top of beef. Place mushrooms on top of beef.

Pour stock over everything.

Turn slow cooker on low and leave for 7 hours.

Remove Roast from slow cooker, and place on serving dish. Slice as desired. Using a slotted spoon, remove onions, carrots and mushrooms from liquid, and place with roast on serving dish.



I cooked my rice with the juice from the beef instead of water, and then used the rest of the juice to make a gravy. Dinner is served! 


I hope your August is enjoyable! We are heading to the cottage on Friday night for the weekend. I'm looking forward to some excellent relaxation.

My 'nesting' stage has started to rear its head. This week I painted our bedroom, and got caught up on all my cleaning and laundry! I am also enjoying some belly time most days to enjoy feeling the baby wiggling around in my tummy. Right now, life is good.

I love you and miss you. We have to plan a get together soon!

Love,



No comments:

Post a Comment