Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Southwestern Quinoa Pasta Salad

Dear Jess,

I am so excited for your visit!! You can absolutely come earlier and we can have a good visit before the crowds show up.

Like you, I am loving the arrival of Spring. I love waking up to the sound of birds, I love the smell of the ground de-frosting, I love wearing a jacket instead of coat, mittens and a hat. All that being said... you know that my favourite thing (about any season change) is the food change. Like you, I have made many stews and soups for the damp days. But with the coming of Spring, comes the return of the BBQ.

Over Easter weekend we went to my Mother-in-law's house for a BBQ. I brought this salad. I love it. It's light, a little spicy, and oh so delicious! I will be making this again for sure!



Southwestern Quinoa Pasta Salad
adapted from www.cookingquinoa.net

Salad Ingredients
8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
1/2 tbsp olive oil (for pasta)
1 cup cooked quinoa (any colour!)
1 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 avocado, pitted and chopped

Dressing Ingredients
1/2 cup lime juice
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloved garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
11/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1. Cook egg noodles according to package directions, being careful not to over or undercook. Drain and rinse. Toss with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.

2. In a blender combine lime juice, olive oil, jalapeno pepper, garlic and salt and pepper.

3. Combine cooked pasta with cooked quinoa, beans, tomatoes, corn, peppers. Toss with dressing and cilantro. When ready to serve, add in avocado.


I hope you have a great week!

Lots of love,



No comments:

Post a Comment