Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hungarian Stew

Dear Sally, 

     For April the weather has still been cool and for that I always recommend stew. I had flipped past this recipe the other day when I was trying to plan the groceries for the week and hoped that it would warm me up. I am sure that wearing proper footwear and a jacket would also help but I refuse to revert back to boots. 
     I didn't quite have the right ingredients for this recipe so I did what I always do and improvised. When I make this again I may try tenderizing the beef before putting it in the pot or changing the recipe to vegetarian.


 

Hungarian Stew
(Adapted from Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook)


Ingredients

2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 pounds beef stew meat
2 carrots, cut into ½-inch rounds
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 small white onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
½ cup tomato sauce
2 cups beef broth
sea salt and black pepper

Directions

1.     In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
2.     Add the stew meat and brown for 5-7 minutes.
3.     Add all of the veggies to the browned beef along with the garlic, stir well, and cook for 10 minutes.
4.     Add the paprika and rosemary and mix well.
5.     Cook for another 5 minutes.
6.     Pour in the tomato sauce and beef broth, mix well, and bring to a boil.
7.     Turn the heat down so that the stew is just at a simmer and cook uncovered for 2 hours.
8.     Before serving season with a little sea salt and black pepper.


Until the weather turns into consistent plus 15 degrees I will keep recipes like this stew close at hand. Looking forward to your next post as always.

Love, 







No comments:

Post a Comment