Thursday, July 7, 2011

Spicy Falafels

Dear Jess,

Today is the first overcast day all week. The sunny days have been delightful. It was a bonus to have the long weekend full of them. Try not to get jealous... but I got to relax by my pool with a stack of novels aaaaall weekend. (Except for my short shift of cleaning on Saturday morning.)

This recipe I have wanted to try for a while. It said it was to take only 20 minutes, so when Jason and I were super hungry and tired I decided to throw it together.



The main problem I had with this one was that the patties didn't stay together. The recipe said to mush the chickpeas with a potato-masher and/or fork until they were completely broken down. This is impossible. I got them as broken down as I could, but it just wasn't enough. I was afraid if I put them in a blender or food processor they would turn into hummus. Long story short, the patties turned into a scramble. A tasty scramble, but a scramble none-the-less.

That being said, it was yummy, filling, cheap, and perfect for a hot summer evening. We stuffed them in whole wheat pitas with spinach, red peppers, and tomatoes. Next time it would be worth whipping up a batch of some sort of spicy mayo or guacamole!

Spicy Falafels
adapted from this recipe
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g can chickpeas, washed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 egg

1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan. Fry the onion and garlic over low heat for 5 minutes until softened. Tip into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices, then mash together with fork or potato masher until the chickpeas are totally broken down. Stir in basil and oregano. Add the egg, then squish the mixture together with your hands.
2. Mould the mix into 6 balls, then flatten into patties. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then fry the falafels on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. (Until golden brown and firm.) Serve hot or cold with couscous, pita bread or salad.



I miss you a great deal. I can't wait to see you in a couple weeks.

I Love You,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment