Friday, July 15, 2011

Esther, Cookies and Tea


Dear Sally,

As our study of Esther comes to a close I have been doing quite a bit of reflecting. What is it that I have taken from these nine weeks? How am I a different woman? What wisdom have I gained that I can share with others? As I was thinking about all of these things I was also baking. I honestly cannot think of a better way to end a 9 week
bible study than with food! I made my recipe with margarine so that I could eat these ones. I will warn you now that if you make the dough too thin and put too much jam in them they will not work. 
These are a great accompaniment to a cup of tea 
early in the morning while reading through the scriptures or even as a late night snack. I used grape and strawberry jam for my fillings because they were what I had in the apartment at the time. I am sure that fresh fruit tossed in a little cinnamon sugar would be just as delicious. Thank you for your unfailing friendship and love. You mean the world to me. Love, Jess

Ingredients1 Stick margerine or butter (softened)
1 cups sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups wheat flour OR 1 cup white all-purpose flour and 1 cup wheat. (All white works well too.)

Filling: Apricot preserves, fruit butters, jam or prunes
.

Directions
1. Cut butter into sugar. Blend thoroughly. Add egg and blend thoroughly. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, blending thoroughly between each.
2. Put the batter in the refrigerator overnight or at least a few hours.
3. Roll it out to about 1/4-inch thickness and then cut circles with a cookie cutter or use
a drinking glass. (From Beth Moore: Make them at least 3 inches in diameter so you have room to fill and fold them over!)
4. Put a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up the sides to make a tri
angle, overlapping the sides as much as possible so only a little filling shows through the middle.
5. Bake at 375 for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment