Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Best Meatloaf Ever

Dear Jess,

Things are too busy. You know I love to keep a certain level of 'busy' but it's getting out of hand. I haven't vacuumed my room in forever, and I'm getting frustrated with planning things because I just want to sit and be quiet for longer than 5 minutes. *inhale*... *exhale*... Everything that I'm busy with (ranging from Kristy's wedding, to yoga, to working Monday-Saturday, to church and small groups and trying to get into a running routine) is all great. I love doing every single one of them. But I am always feeling like I'm doing a juggling act and if I add even one more thing I will end up dropping a ball. I am greatly looking forward to this (long) weekend so I can breathe and re-group.

That being said, I really do like everything I'm doing. This includes cooking! Whenever I ask Jason what he wants me to make, 4 out of 5 times he will say 'meatloaf', and 4 out of 5 times I will think 'that's not adventurous enough!' One day my mom made meatloaf, and we asked Jason if he liked it. He said 'Well... yes, but I don't have much of a reference... this is the first time I've tried meatloaf!' So this whole time he has been asking for meatloaf, it has been because he had never had it before! And I had no idea so I always brushed it off! How mean is that?! So, this time, when he asked for meatloaf I set off to find the best meatloaf ever.

We had success. I literally Googled 'Best Meatloaf Ever' and I got a recipe from Cooks.com. I was drawn to it because it appeared to mix a lot of my favourite flavours. When reading the reviews, people were loving it. The only consistent problem they had was that it was too moist. In fact some people ended up with soup instead of loaf. So I cut down (a lot) of liquid ingredients. It turned out so yummy! I will be making this one again for sure.

We made Sweet Potato Wedges and Steamed Broccoli for 'sides'



Best Meatloaf Ever
adapted from this recipe
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1 cup fresh Italian style bread crumbs
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 egg
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated

1. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, ketchup, Balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce.
2. In a large bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, onions, red bell pepper, garlic, egg, seasonings, Parmesan cheese, and 3/4 of your tomato mixture that you just made.
3. Form into a loaf. Place into a bread loaf tin, lightly oiled. Spoon some of the remaining liquid over the top.
4. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Spoon on a good layer of the last of your sauce and put back in for 15 minutes.
5. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and serve!



Congratulations on your new job!!!! I am so happy for you! I miss you terribly (as you already know.) I hope we can see each other soon. Maybe a Skype Date soon?

Also, I am hoping to start Spanish Lessons in September. Let me know if you know of any good places in Peterborough. I hear Fleming has some good ones, but I'm having a hard time navigating their website.

Have such a good week and long weekend!

I love you,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment