Friday, June 24, 2011

Yummy Salad and Celebratory Pie





SALLY!!!!!!!

I have news :) Really good news. I heard back about the job . . . and I got it! I want to give you all the details but I will share them in person. I have been so happy and excited all morning that I decided to put my busy hands to work. I made a delicious chickpea and spinach salad. The lemon vinaigrette dressing was a wonderful compliment to the red onions and it was all topped off with a light orange yogurt sauce.

I also had some rhubarb in the freezer so I decided to make a fresh strawberry rhubarb pie f
or the Brickell family in celebration of such good news. As you know I am not the pastry queen and avoid making pies because of it but I felt optimistic today.

I am sorry that this entry is short but I had to tell you! You have been so supportive with your prayers and encouragement and I couldn't wait to share.

I hope you are well. I miss you terribly!


Love,
Jess

(adapted from dishfolio)
  • 1/3 cup lowfat plain yogurt
  • 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/8 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves (or more)
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
  • good pinch of cayenne pepper
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups baby spinach leaves (or more)

  1. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, orange zest, orange juice and honey.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the chickpeas, parsley, mint and onion. In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, zest, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the chickpea mixture and toss to combine. Serve the chickpea salad over a bed of spinach leaves. Top with the yogurt sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment