Thursday, July 19, 2012

Delicious Jambalaya

Hello Mrs Brickell!!

The summer is flying by. You are already married! So exciting! Congratulations again. Your wedding was beautiful and I am so glad to hear you were pleased with how it all came together.

I have learned something very important that has changed my grocery lists, meal planning and cooking habits. Jason eats a lot. A lot. So much. He works so hard during the day that his body can't keep any fat! He eats and then *slurp!* his body sucks up and burns off the energy almost instantly. I'm the opposite. I don't eat much. I mean I can eat a lot, but typically I don't. And my body holds on to all the fat.

I have gotten used to half a casserole dish of macaroni disappearing onto Jason's plate as one 'serving' of dinner. I have stopped being disappointed when a meal I thought would last a couple days lasts one. I have changed my thoughts from 'Oh dear... I can't keep up' to 'My husband likes my cooking!' And really, when it comes to it: I like a challenge. The grocery bill can get a little bigger, and I can attempt to have too much food in the fridge.

This Jambalaya recipe surprised me. It will become a regular for sure. This time I used sausage but realized I could use beans instead and it would still be delicious (and cut the cost almost in half!) It is spicy, so make sure you adjust it to your personal taste. It makes a huge pot and is very filling.



The best part of this was that it called for Creole Seasoning. I know I have seen this around but (of course) I could not find it in time. I decided to make my own Creole Seasoning. I highly suggest it. It is a combination of regular spice-rack items, looks pretty in your pantry and smells so good.



Delicious Jambalaya
Adapted from Food.com

1/2 cup butter
2 yellow onions, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 chili pepper, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1 1/2 lbs mild Italian sausage, removed from casing and broken into small pieces
2 cups chicken broth
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
3 cups long-grain rice

1. Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onions, green onions, bell pepper, garlic, serrano chile, bay leaves, Creole Seasoning, cayenne pepper and thyme.
3. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
4. Add sausage, broth, tomatoes and rice.
5. Bring mixture to simmer.
6. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about
30 minutes to 45 minutes.

Creole Seasoning
Adapted from This Recipe

2 Tbsp onion flakes
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp dried oregano leaves
2 Tbsp dried sweet basil
1 Tbsp dried thyme leaves
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
5 Tbsp paprika

1. Mix them all together!*

*The original recipe called for 1 Tbsp of celery seed. I thought I had some but didn't realize until too late that I didn't. Next time I will add it as I feel it would add even more awesomeness to the seasoning.




I hope all it well and you will soon return from your second trip and enjoy the settling down and relaxing stage.

I love you and can't wait to see you again!


Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment