Monday, January 16, 2012

Meatless Monday

Dearest Sally,

WE ARE GETTING MARRIED! I am sooo excited for this year. There is so much to do, so much to prepare and it is so much fun to be doing it together.

Today is cold, windy and I was in the mood for some experimentation today. I am still sick and read somewhere that hot and spicy foods will open up your sinuses. Here goes nothing! I had cauliflower, quinoa and a few other random ingredients in the house and so I decided on a Jamaican style dish with my own twist. I am letting it sit overnight so all the flavours can blend.

OH! I also had squash in apartment just sitting around so decided to make some soup. I used the Moosewood cookbook that you gave me. It smells awesome! I can’t wait to have some tomorrow.


Jamaican Mish Mash Rice

(Adapted from Eat, Shrink, and be Merry)

1/3 cup chopped green onions

¼ cup freshly squeezed limejuice

2 tbsp. olive oil

2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp grated gingerroot

2 tsp minced garlic

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped

1 tsp ground allspice

1 tsp dried thyme, salt, and pepper

½ tsp ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg

2 cups uncooked quinoa

1 head cauliflower

1 can mixed beans

I cooked the quinoa and let it cool. I washed the cauliflower and broke it into large pieces. I placed the pieces in a food processor and pulsed until it was a fine mixture. I put the quinoa and cauliflower in a big bowl and tossed in the mixed beans. I added all the rest of the ingredients to the mixture and stirred. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and it should be perfect by morning. It tastes good right away but I find some things better with time.





Curried Squash & Mushroom Soup

(Adapted from The New

Moosewood Cookbook)

1 medium squash

4 cups water

2 cubes broth

1 cup orange juice

½ cup chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

¼ tsp. salt

½ ground cumin

½ coriander

½ tsp cinnamon

1 tsp. ginger

¼ tsp mustard (Dijon)


1. Preheat oven to 375. Split the squash lengthwise, remove the seeds, and place face down on a lightly oiled tray. Bake until soft (about 30-40 minutes). Cool, then scoop out the insides. Place in a food processor or blender with some of the broth water, and puree until smooth. Add the orange juice, rest of the broth and squash to a pan.

2. While the soup is simmering cook the onions until soft. Add the garlic and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes then add the ingre

dients to the pan.

3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and let simmer for at least 2 hours for best flavour.



I can't wait to chat or see you, whichev

er one comes first.


Love,




2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess! Aaahhhhhhh! So much excitement! Your two dishes here look wonderful. And I believe your statement to be true.....about hot and spicy, as it did the trick for me last week. Squash soup is among the favourites this time of year and your picture is exactly what comes to mind. Thanks again for your inspiration! Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Enjoy every single moment! Love you. Sandy

    ReplyDelete