Thursday, March 3, 2011

March Medley

Dearest Jess,

I can't believe it's already March! I woke up this morning to the birds singing and the sun shining! It was still -15, but things are looking up! I do believe Spring will be here before we know it, and all this cold and mush will just seem like a distant bad dream.

I was on 'dinner duty' on Wednesday, and with all the rain we've been getting, I have been craving a big bowl of soup! I made this recipe up, so bare with me as I try to remember the ingredients. I needed lots of greens (as you know) for my blood vs. medication levels. I was going to use broccoli, but realized we had some bok choy to use up. I am thrilled this happened, because the bok choy-and-spinach combo really set the 'tone' for the soup.

Green Medley Soup
1 large spanish onion, diced
2 sticks of celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, diced
3tbsp butter
1.5lb ground turkey
1 cup of medium salsa
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 containers of chicken broth
1 cup uncooked rice (I used a medley my Mom has)
1 can of lentils
2 large bok choy (chopped)
half of a large box of spinach
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Put butter, onions, celery, red pepper and carrots into your pot on medium head until they start to get tender. Add ground turkey and simmer until cooked (you can turn the heat up if needed.) Add your salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir well. Add chicken broth and rice. Bring to a boil. Turn down to low heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, covered.

2. Add lentils. Cook for 3 minutes more. Add Bok Choy and spinach. Let cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add Salt and Pepper if needed.

3. Serve!



I hope you're doing well! I miss you (as always!) I can't wait to see you in a few weeks when Caitlin and G come to visit!


I love you,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment