I am in love with The Oh She Glows Cookbook, and www.ohsheglows.com. I have posted a few, and here is another one! These are full of flavour, and are perfect for lunch, dinner, and even take-out snacks for Alice! (and she loves them, by the way!) I am hoping to do a double batch to freeze for when baby #2 arrives! I used my manual food processor (from Pampered Chef!) quite a bit. If you don't have any form of food processor, then it will be a lot of chopping.
Oh, and I love that you bake these, rather than pan fry them! She knows what she's doing.
Crispy Quinoa Cakes
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
2 Tbsp ground flax + 6 Tbsp water (or 2 eggs)
1 cup destemmed, finely cut kale
1/2 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour
1/2 cup finely grated sweet potato
1/4 cup finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
2 Tbsp finely diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp tahini paste (runny)
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp red or white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp fine grain sae salt, or to taste
3 Tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used spelt)
red pepper flakes, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes or so to thicken. (omit this step if using eggs)
3. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl, including the flax mixture (or eggs) and the 15 cups cooked quinoa. Stir well until the mixture comes together. Don't forget the flour because it helps bind the patties.
4. Shape mixture into 1/4 cup patties with wet hands. Pack tightly so they hold together better. Place on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully flip cakes, and bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden and firm.
6. Cool for 5 minutes on the sheet and then enjoy!
I served these with fresh spinach and avocado topped with homemade balsamic vinaigrette (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, real maple syrup, oregano), and oven roasted potatoes (sweet and regular) in a shallow bowl. Even Jason enjoyed it!