Saturday, November 15, 2014

Spicy Black Bean Soup

Dear Jess,

Poor Jason informed me that he is hungry. Almost always. This is not surprising, as the weather has officially become cold, and he works outside. The amount of calories he burns everyday has jumped substantially!

I was lucky enough to win a door prize at my friend and Naturopath's open house for the new location of her clinic Healthy Foundations. To my delight, it was the door prize I most coveted: The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. As it says on the cover, it is "A complete nutritional and cooking guide for every stage of life, including over 200 gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free recipes." It is packed full of helpful information for people intolerant of many foods, and also what you should be looking for when buying organic. I have found it extremely helpful.

On page 155, there is a recipe for Spicy Black Bean Soup. This is one of many recipes I hope to make in the upcoming winter months. I served it over brown rice, with a salad topped with boiled egg, and homemade poppyseed dressing. (I will include this recipe too!)

Enjoy!

Spicy Black Bean Soup
from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook, Page 155



1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 medium red bell pepper, diced (I subbed celery, because I can't have peppers yet)
1 large carrot, diced
1 small jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 tsp chipotle pepper (I omitted this, as I didn't have any)
1 tsp paprika
pinch cayenne
2-3 cups water (I used chicken broth)
6 cups cooked black beans, or 3 cans
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, or one 14 oz can
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (I can't eat corn yet either, so I left it out)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp sea salt or Herbamare, or to taste
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; add chopped onion and sea salt. Saute until slightly golden, then add red pepper, carrot, jalapeno pepper; saute-stir a few minutes more. Add spices and stir to coat.

2. Add water, black beans, tomatoes, and corn, add more water/broth if necessary. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are fork tender, about 20-25 minutes.

3. Remove pot from heat and add cilantro. Add Herbamare or sea salt to taste. Add apple cider vinegar. Taste and adjust salt and seasonings if necessary. (I also too my immersion blender to it a bit, to thicken and smooth it out a bit)

Poppy Seed Dressing
adapted from a recipe from a friend

1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp grated onion
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp poppy seeds

Blend honey, vinegar, salt, mustard and onion together. With the blender on, slowly add olive oil to ensure it infuses effectively. Stir in poppy seeds, and refrigerate!

Like a said earlier, I served the soup over brown rice with a salad. It was a hit with Jason, and he said it filled him up! Woot woot! Win for the wife!

I love you and miss you dreadfully. I hope we can see each other soon.

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment