Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Brunch: Poached Egg atop Quinoa Flat Bread and Sweet Potato Patties

Dear Jess,

Today feels like Saturday to me. Jason got a rain day (though it has not yet rained...) and has been tinkering around the house doing little things. As for me, Mary-Austin an I started the day out right: drank tea and coffee, armed ourselves with knitting and cross-stitching, and watched Anne of Green Gables part 2. We then moved upstairs to bake cookies, plan shopping lists, make soup, and make this masterpiece of a breakfast/lunch. Mmmmmmm. It's been a good day.



These Quinoa Patties are quite nice. They do taste like quinoa, so if you don't like the taste I would not recommend them. They are meant to be topped with something delicious, so eating them by themselves would be as bland as eating a regular flat bread by itself. All very important things to keep in mind before making them.

The Sweet Potato Patties don't form into a firm patty, but they do taste delicious. I am making the left over 'batter' into a nice salad. I highly recommend these.

Quinoa Flat Bread
from closetcooking.com

1 cup raw quinoa, pulsed in a grinder or food processor
1 cup whole wheat flour or brown rice flour
1 egg
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix the processed quinoa, flour, egg, water, salt and pepper and let it soak for an hour.

2. Heat a greased pan over medium heat

3. Pour* 1/4 cup of mixture into the center of the pan, cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for another 5 minutes. 

*The word 'pour' made me think they would pour out like pancake batter... they didn't for me. I had to plop it on the pan and flatten it with my flipper. I might add more water next time and see what happens... it would help get them thinner I think.

 
Sweet Potato Patties
adapted from lunchbox.com

2 baked sweet potatoes
1 (19oz) can Navy beans

You simply take a baked sweet potato, drained and rinsed Navy beans, add in a few accents (I used horseradish, fresh minced garlic, salt and pepper with a dash of dried thyme), mash, saute and serve. You could add in other whole food ingredients too like brown rice, finely chopped apple, hemp seeds - whatever! The sweet potato is such a nice binder - you can really get creative if you choose.

As I mentioned, they did not stay together for me - that does not mean they were not super tasty! Next time I will add brown rice or bulger wheat. I will let you know how that goes!


There is so much possibility with this. You can add herbs to the flat breads and/or sweet potato patties. You could top the whole thing with hot sauce, and even add lettuce between the flat bread and sweet potato. The options are endless!

I can't wait until next Friday! I am trying to find things to make while you guys are here!

So much love,



No comments:

Post a Comment