Sunday, March 4, 2012

Like Mama Used to Make

Sally,

I laughed today when I signed in cause I was just about to post this and I saw yours. The Chicken and Vegetable Soup looks amazing! I am sure that will be a winner next windy day.

Jesse and I are finally starting to feel settled in the house and now we have to joy of deciding what to fix or change next. Yay March Break!

We normally have a dinner date night on Saturdays. Sometimes we go out for a change but I was feeling 'wifie' yesterday and decided to make some down home cookin! My mom always used to make us Chicken Parmesan when I was younger. She used only the best technology to cook the chicken - the microwave - but I decided to try frying it in a pan with Crisco as the grease of choice. If you are cringing at the choice of cuisine don't worry, I didn't eat the chicken. Jesse loved it though. I threw in some mashed potatoes and veggies and cheese sauce and we had a meal!


Chicken Parmesan

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup tomato sauce

Clean the chicken breasts and lay flat on a cutting board. Using a meat tenderizer, beat the chicken until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Beat your three eggs and mix with the milk. Dip your chicken into the egg mixture. Transfer into the crumbs and then dip back in the milk. Dip into the bread crumbs one more time and transfer to a warm frying pan with Crisco in it. Cook the chicken breasts on the first side and then flip. Cover the cooked side of the chicken breast with tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and cheese. Cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Cheese Sauce

2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

To make the cheese sauce I start with melting the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the flour and whisk constantly. It will form a paste. Add milk in very small amounts, making sure all of the liquid is incorporated before adding more. Once all of the milk has been added season with salt and pepper and stir. The liquid will come to a boil. When it does add the cheese and let the liquid thicken. Pour over your veggies and enjoy!

The recipe came out of my head so if I am missing something just improvise. I can't wait to see you on the weekend and I hope your delicious soup made you feel ALL better.


Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment