Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kickin' Chicken: Chicken Thighs with Peanut Sauce


Dear Jess,

Jillian Michaels kicked my butt this weekend.

Let me explain... Jason and I went to my cousin Rebecca's house so Jason could help her husband chop and stack wood (at least I think that's what they did... I hung out inside with all the girls!) We got there around 10:30, and by 11, Rebecca and I were starting to sweat. I knew half way through that I would not be able to move for a couple days... and I was right! Thus, first thing on Tuesday I went and picked up the DVD (Jillian Michaels 'No More Trouble Zones')! Today is my first day of ascending and descending stairs with no pain. Today will also be the second time I do the DVD workout.

This recipe I did quite a while ago. It's another really quick and very simple one. You can do it with chicken thighs or breasts. I used thighs because they're so delicious and cheaper than breasts. It's not anywhere near what Jamie Oliver would do, but for a quick, no-mess, low maintenance meal... it got my attention. You can make it spicy depending on what salsa you use. You could also throw in some chili flakes if that tickles your fancy. I will most likely be making this again!



Kickin' Chicken (6 servings)
from Eat Shrink and be Merry, by Janet and Greta Podleski

3/4 cup bottled light peanut sauce
1/2 cup medium or hot salsa
1/4 cup chopped, fresh basil leaves

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray a 9x12 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange chicken thighs in the pan in a single layer. If you're using breasts, cut them in half to make them fit the pan if necessary.

2. Combine peanut sauce, salsa and basil in a bowl. Pour over the chicken evenly and make sure all pieces are well coated with sauce. Bake, uncovered for 40-45 minutes for thighs, and 35-40 minutes for breasts, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and sauce is bubbly.

3. To serve, arrange chicken on a platter and pour the sauce from the pan over top.


I had diced and froze some squash earlier in the month. I steamed it and mashed it with a little greek yogurt! Very yummy!

I hope all the planning is going well! I miss you (as always) and can't wait to have a Skype date! You are a remarkable woman and I am proud to call you my friend.

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment